Dylan Thomas

Poetry is what in a poem makes you laugh, cry, prickle, be silent, makes your toenails twinkle, makes you want to do this or that or nothing, makes you know that you are alone in the unknown world, that you bliss and suffering is forever shared and forever all your own. - Dylan Thomas

Friday, January 25, 2008

My Dozen

What Dozen things must I have in my kitchen:
1.) Onion
2.) Celery and Carrots
3.) Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Sea Salt and Garlic
4.) Almond butter/Peanut butter as well as Pecans/Almonds/Brazils or Hazelnuts
5.) Coconut oil and EVOO
6.) Lemons or Limes
7.) Tea and a pot for a bit of refreshing with cookbooks/mags to peruse
8.) An assortment of flours like spelt/brown rice/amaranth/oat/corn meal
9.) Brown Rice with additions of Rye berries and Wild Rice
10.) Salad stuff - anything goes
11.) Eggs preferably Cage Free
12.) Cheeses: Goat and Feta and Farmers for example plus a bit of Jalepeno Jack for nachos

To these things I add what I find is interesting, inexpensive this week or down in the bottom of my freezer like: Fish/Chicken/Beef/Lamb and Turkey and the organic veggies at Whole Paycheck that are anywhere near affordable...this week it was beets/leeks and parsnips.

I cook from my head but also my heart...I like the supper table to be cleared and pretty with napkins and placemats. I often cook soup each week and have a huge salad for several days. In winter it is best to consume the warm before the cold so a bit of soup is good before each meal. I like stews and country fare made healthier with lighter ingredients. Flowers are welcome but a nice teapot makes a lovely centerpiece and the one my husband gave me for Christmas has been sitting in a matching tray and will stay there til valentines day when I will find another lovely eye pleasing low thing to adorn the table center. I try to create tasty and economical healthy meals. Sometimes they are a 10 but really often I only hit a 7 or 8. I just keep on trying to tweek it to perfection. Life comes at you hard so be prepared!

No comments: