Dylan Thomas

Poetry is what in a poem makes you laugh, cry, prickle, be silent, makes your toenails twinkle, makes you want to do this or that or nothing, makes you know that you are alone in the unknown world, that you bliss and suffering is forever shared and forever all your own. - Dylan Thomas

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day Thoughts

I spoke to my mom today and she warned me about her concerns for my plans to go to Door County over Mother's Day and a couple more! She is very practical and concerned for my welfare even if I am 63 and she is 84. I have to smile and always consider what she has to offer. She is a trouble shooter for potential disasters and has many good points to suggest. I appreciate her willingness to try to steer me clear of trouble. She is my mom! I love her dearly.

I spoke to one of my daughters yesterday. She had hard news for me. Our visit which has been planned for what seemed to me like a very long time is now on hold again because of the ramifications of the flood in Nashville. Well, I must swallow the bitter pill and find what is good and pure and lovely to think of. I am proud of Jamie and her mothering skills and yes, I miss her loads. When we can I want to hang with her and soak up her muchiness!

 I have raised 4 independent and self-sufficient children into adulthood and then they went their own way. I tried to show them that they had wings so now why should I lament their flight? My nest isn't even big enough for all to come at once. It unraveled when they got their wings.

My heart is the heart of a mother no matter if I did it wonderfully or missed the mark at times. My heart has unlimited love for my two daughters and my two sons and their mates and offsprings respectively. I pray for them and try not to guilt them with my troubles or druthers. I can get by. God is my witness that I try. Crosby Stills and Nash is playing "Teach Your Children" as I type.  I better switch it up so I can make it through this without being sappy.

I do not remember anything as exciting as watching my kids succeed at something they wanted to do. Soccer games, concerts, hostessing parties, marrying the love of their lives, the births and birthdays of their precious kids, a moment of clarity about the Lord, it all adds up to joy for a mom.

Equally nothing is as heart wrenching as when they are sick or hurt deeply or when cross thread with one another. So... I listen but then stand back, pray and wait for resolution and healing. I have learned to hold my kids lightly and let God have His way in their lives.

No one will come on Mother's Day. I am going traveling to see new vistas and think some new thoughts and get a small break from routine so I can have a change in perspective. It is all good!

3 comments:

Jennalu said...

I love you Lynda! I appreciate you more than I can tell you hear! May God richly bless you as you travel this Mother's Day!

xinex said...

Why don't you come back to my blog and sign up for my giveaway? Happy Mother's Day!...Christine

nannykim said...

Motherhood is just plain exciting.