Dylan Thomas

Poetry is what in a poem makes you laugh, cry, prickle, be silent, makes your toenails twinkle, makes you want to do this or that or nothing, makes you know that you are alone in the unknown world, that you bliss and suffering is forever shared and forever all your own. - Dylan Thomas

Friday, December 19, 2008

Another Winter Storm Watch for our area...

We have gotton 15 inches this week so far and tomorrow is predicted to bring more and right on the heels of more snow the wind is to pick up and the temperatures to drop so wind-chill could be -25. Wow! I brought my silk long-underwear bottoms with me this weekend and I am glad. Last winter was bad but this one seems to have a possibility of putting last year to shame. Come on I do like a bit of snow but oh my not this incessant cold and snow. Shoveling is in my and Jenna's future I am sure.
Christmas is next week and I am eyeing the projected weather in our area. It affects the dogs and the people at my house. I hope Hobbz will willingly come in and stay in the laundry room at night. He likes to be outside but it is just too cold when it gets below zero. Hobbz is 15 and has seen his share of winters but his shelter is only a plastic dog house now, not a porch as was in La Valle.
I usually look forward to being snowed in once or twice a winter. I always have projects to do and a couple movies I could watch or a good book to read. My tiny house and the sharing of it has dampened my joy at having a snow day. Jenna is a student and she is chronically ill. I could go on and on about the drawbacks of living in a tiny house with those other than in your immediate family but I choose to look at the things which are positive that are coming out of this strange invasive situation. Jack has limited entertainment. A few library books, tv and his cell/housemates to amuse him with only occasional outings and visitors.
Jack gets care on the weekends and I get a change of responsibility coming to be with the kids plus opportunity to earn a bit to help us. That is the main gain for me. Perhaps if I did not have someone living with us we could live on less money and I would not need so much extra but that is not proven only "guestimated". I would have more space.
The benefits are also somewhat favorable for Jenna. She is getting hands on coaching and mentoring plus she is being encouraged to choose positive things for her health and her future. She would not be able to go to school without a situation that allowed her to live without having to pay her own rent/utilities/food/some transportation and other things needed for quality life. Her contribution does not offset the amount that would be needed to provide for her needs so this makes it a "benny" for her in that way. Living in a small area and having to consolidate and lose privacy is indeed a cost but setting any goal and working toward it is always at a cost.
I think about our situation and when drama/tension is high I wonder if it is the best choice at the end of Jack's life and at a time when I have so much stress and responsibility but I am prayerfully trying to listen and go forward to do the right and best thing.
God sometimes asks us to go out of our comfort zone for a time. One benefit of me cooperating in this is growth in my patience level but seems like every front has that opportunity (from Jack and his medical conditions and on to working with Tisha and various kids in their various states.) I am open to being stretched and changed. I am certain Jenna is too. She has her own list of irritations I am certain. Door slamming and pan clanging are some of my favorite normal activities. I love to have lights on and I talk to myself on many occasions. I have a strange sense of humor as well and can be quite candid when the occasion arises for me to air my thoughts.
This winter may be hard as our situation is like living in a log-cabin in the wilderness. The elements and the bears are outside and the smells, sounds, personalities, foibles and tempers are on the inside! Hoopla!
Bring on the snow and cold. Let's make this a winter to remember, huh? Love and Life are messy!

1 comment:

Jennalu said...

Mr. Hobbs is liking the laundary at night! He loves the attention and warmth!